Subject: Re: ps ax
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2001 20:32:21
wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote:

> > > how to make it not showing other processes. good it does not show
> > > environment variables but i think in multiuser environment it's
> > > unacceptable that everybody could see what each other is doing.
> > >
> > > how to fix?
> >
> > You need similar changes for the envp case in sysctl_procargs()
> > (located in sys/kern/kern_sysctl.c) for the argv case and also in
> > sysctl_doeproc().  The work isn't that hard but there has been no
> > agreement as to what knobs enable and disable the functionality.  At the
>
> strange that people don't think it's important ???
>
> is such option planned in future releases or have i to do it myself and
> patch every new netbsd release?

I don't recall anyone being against such an option when it was discussed
previously - as I said the "problem" was more agreeing how to enable
and disable such an option.  If you come up with a good implementation,
submit it via send-pr and it may well get included in a future release.
This would save you the hassle of having to patch each future release.

You might want to discuss your implementation plan on either the
tech-security or tech-kern mailing lists before going ahead and
doing the work.

Welcome to a user-supported operating system :-)

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/