Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2001 12:06:20
On Friday,  6 April 2001 at 10:23:21 +0200, Thomas Michael Wanka wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2001, at 8:37, wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net wrote:
>
>> few questions?
>> how much milions USD you need to pay per mips of processing power ?
>> how much electricity does it use ? who would use that? if someone is
>> so crazy to pay millions for computer surely is not interested to get
>> free OS
>
> currently only OS/390 (BS2000 or whatever) will run as native OS,

I don't think you'll get BS2000 to run on an IBM machine.

> In that class you count the USD for mips per hour.  All I know is
> that it has a good watt per mips and heat per mips ratio, so if you
> need the processing power of such a system the S/390 needs less
> electricity and pruduces less heat and less space than a computing
> environment with the same processing power.

I don't believe that's the case.  The /390 is not a very fast machine.
I saw a small one at a trade show a few weeks back, and they said it
would do about 200 MIPS.  The real advantage of the /390 is the data
routing capability.  If you're looking for a number cruncher, forget
it.

Greg