Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2001 12:00:56
On Friday,  6 April 2001 at 21:18:13 +0200, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> wojtek@wojtek.3miasto.net writes:
>
>> so what and how much CPUs does it have?!
>> is there architecture info somewhere?
>
> I bet there is, or do you think IBM doesn't advertise their products?
> Typing something as easily guessed as "http://www.s390.ibm.com/" into
> Netrape's URL line produced the following:
> http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/,
> which ought to be a good starting point.

IBM has recently renamed all their product lines to "xSeries", for
some value of x.  I'm not sure what the 390 is; I thought I heard
"cSeries", but I was speaking to an American, so it could have been
"zSeries".  In any case, what I see there suggests that it's a new
development: it's a 64 bit machine, where the /390 is 32 bits (I
think).  That certainly appears borne out by
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/migration.html

More traditional processors are described at
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/s390/pes/ and, which includes links to
PDF format docco.

Greg