Subject: Re: some basic questions from Linux user
To: Marcin Szczepaniak <szczepan@szczepan.from.pl>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/04/2001 21:12:41
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:54:04AM +0200, Marcin Szczepaniak wrote:

> > - Linux has IP-masquerading. BSD has IP-NAT.
> >   linux has special modules, like ipmasq-irc, ipmasq-realaudio, etc..
> >   how is on NetBSD with running such services as RealAudio, IRC, FTP,
> >   behind my firewall ?
>
> there are proxy built-in IPF/IPNAT, but not for all the suffs linux has

From personal experience the following work:
FTP: no problem (ipnat has a proxy module to allow non-passive FTP to work)
RealAudio: The UDP stuff wont work but the TCP streams work very nicely. Just
	   get RealPlayer to autodetect the connection type to use and it works
           nicely.
IRC: Not done this on NetBSD but people at work use IRC through the office
     FreeBSD firewall (which is ipfilter/ipnat based like NetBSD)
ICQ: can be persuaded to work but is a bit of a pain.

> > - on my router i'm using tools for monitoring network traffic,
> >   such as iptraf. Is avalaible any equivalent for NetBSD ?
>
> Maybe in the package system - look at net/mrtg maybe ?

This is what my office uses to keep track of the Firewall bandwidth usage and
it works really well, again on FreeBSD, but I did test it out on my home
NetBSD machine and things worked just as well. You will need to do a little
scripting to make it work but its well documented.

Mike