Subject: Re: password encoding
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/03/2001 13:18:13
On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> is it possible to convert linux password files when changing system to
> netbsd from linux?

Read the shadow(5) manual page on the Linux box; read the master.passwd(5)
on the BSD box.

If you are using the same encryption algorithm, then simply write a script
that reads the Linux shadow file and generates the appropriate fields for
the BSD master.passwd file. (I have done the reverse a few times -- moving
some BSD/OS systems to Red Hat Linux.[1])

If it uses a different encryption, then you may need to tweak or config
NetBSD to use it.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/

[1] My supervisers either lacked the money to continue to pay for a BSD/OS
licenses -- or they were sadly convinced that Red Hat Linux was better.