Subject: Re: reformatting IDE drive?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2001 22:02:44
On 01.04.01, 20:41:29, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> is it possible to reformat IDE drive with other sector size (1024
> preferably)?
>
> it is possible with SCSI giving little space and performance gain.

I rather doubt that the hardware sector size makes any real difference
on modern drives.

I also don't see how larger sector sizes would give a _space_ gain.

The file system block and frag sizes (8k and 1k, respectively, by
default) for FFS can be set during newfs, and are more likely to be
useful for fine-tuning performance.

Unusual sector sizes still cause problems with some problems like df;
I have a HP-UX CD-ROM which seems to have 512byte blocks, and df
reports values 4 times too big (assuming 2048k blocks for iso 9660
file systems).

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Compatible with the Real World.