Subject: Re: Tape access over net
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2001 21:02:44
On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 06:09:17PM +0200, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
> > Yes, but if CPU load is under 5% (95% idle), it doesn't explain the slow
> > speed.  I guess the DAT drive writes some data, then stops, rewinds the
> > tape, writes some more data etc.  But why?  I have a 4 MB buffer which should
> > be enough to keep the tape streaming, IMHO..
>
> what blocks does "buffer" program use?

10k (which the man page says is the block size used by tar).

> try setting blocks to 0 (mt setblk 0) and set 32kB output block size in
> "buffer". i do not use buffer no i don't know what's the options

mt status already reports "blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)".  I'm now running
buffer with bs of 32k.  Network load is about 450K/s which means the
larger block size does not help.  This DDS-2 drive should be about twice
this fast if everything was ok.

  -jm