Subject: AOLServer on NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2001 03:11:09
Hello,

  I wish to run AOLServer (http://www.aolserver.com) on NetBSD 1.5 (i386).

1)  At present, there is no NetBSD-pkg.

2)  AOLServer's homepage says that the source code will compile
    on FreeBSD and OpenBSD, but says nothing about NetBSD.

    My understanding is that AOLServer uses multiple threads within
    one process, as opposed to multiple processes (as Apache does).

3)  I downloaded the source from AOLServer.com and attempted to
    compile it on NetBSD.  I encountered some errors.

    In examining one of the files used by the 'make' process, I
    saw where different compile options were set depending upon
    the platform (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris, etc).  My understanding
    is that OpenBSD is derived from NetBSD, so I used the OpenBSD
    settings for when "NetBSD" was recognized.  There were errors,
    most notably that "GCC did not like a 'pthreads' option".

QUESTION:  Is there a technical limitation
           which prevents AOLServer
           from compiling and running on NetBSD?

  If I cannot get the source to compile on NetBSD I may try to move
  the FreeBSD binary to NetBSD and see if that runs.

  Am I on a 'wild goose chase' or do I have a chance to succeed?
Your suggestions and comments regarding this will be much appreciated.

Thanks for your voluntary efforts on NetBSD.  I enjoy using it and
am intrigued by the philosophy of NetBSD ("same source, many platforms"),
I am working to change some of my machines from FreeBSD to NetBSD.

Marty Cawthon
ChipChat