Subject: Re: [justin@bbnow.net: Re: bash]
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/27/2001 22:22:02
In message <Pine.NEB.4.33.0103272048430.15949-100000@fiona.amberites.invalid>,
Frederick Bruckman writes:

>I was hoping to make a little package of just "ksh".

Without going into all the details (I've been in the same lab as Dave
Korn for many years), ksh and the other tools are part of a long
process of tool development.  The tools co-evolved, with generic
functions being split out from ksh and other tools and moved into a
common library.  To give one example, sfio is a better I/O library (for
many purposes) than stdio.  Naturally, ksh uses it, which in turn means
that you can't build ksh without first building sfio.

For more details on the tools and their philosphies, see
http://www.research.att.com/resources/books/reuse (but I think that the
book is out of print).