Subject: Re: Alcatel DSL drivers
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2001 12:07:49
Hi,

> Oh yeah, but I think we have all the bits required for a re-write. Just
> needs the knowledge. I know NBSD fairly well, with some kernel stuff,
> but I know nothing of Linux kernels so I'm not sure I'm up to it, unless
> there is some How to convert from Linux kernel drivers to NetBSD
> documentation about.

The Linux kernel normally makes me very angry and there
are several dents in the side of my i386 box's case to
prove it!!!  Enough said.

> Personally I'm not at all interested in getting the source for the
> firmware, it is proprietry and probably some weird CPU (just guessing).
> You get the firmware with the Windows drivers, so you'd never be quite
> as stuck as above :)

Yeah, but you probably need the firmware for the device if
it's like most partially complicated USB things -> it loses
it on power out (like some USB scanners).  You probably
will have to reload the firmware on every device attach
to be safe (or something equally ugly).

I haven't read the code yet, so these are assumptions, but
I am interested in getting one of these so I can use BT's
ADSL here in the UK.

- Chris.