Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
To: None <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2001 19:58:44
[ On Monday, March 19, 2001 at 11:12:22 (+1100), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
> Size is not the only argument for/against a shared /*bin.  Other
> usability issues like dynamic nsswitch and i18n support come into
> it as well.

Such ideas (i.e. dynamic loading in libc) scare the living daylights out
of me.  There's absolutely no way I'll go along with them for even
general uses, and *NEVER* for embedded systems, firewalls, and such!

All such things can be done much better and almost infintitely safer
with small, separate, helper programs.

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>