Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
To: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2001 22:01:29
> > 13843  	368    	544    	14755  	39a3   	/bin/ls
> >
> > 14KB text+the rest 230 from libc.so
> > but this 230 is SHARED with other binaries.
>
> The arithmetic isn't *quite* that simple.  Among other things, there is

i know it, but it's enough for that calculation.
> some additional space used by ld.so to store the PLT and whatnot.
> Still, it's a huge win -- especially for machines with small memory or
> storage.  (Can you say `hpc'?)
i say: H-P-C.

i say: MY-NOTEBOOK!

i say: NAT/routing/firewall/etc boxes i build often from used 386/486
and 4 or 8MB RAM. with linux it is difficult (read: unusable) to run on
4MB router with NAT, named, sshd (to allow me login safely) , cron (rarely
used), sendmail (rarely, for reporting status to me etc :)), pppd (with
deflate, comsumes lot of memory), oidentd and maybe vtun.

with linux works perfectly on 8MB, but i'm thinking to change in to netbsd
because of MUCH better serial port handling. with older uarts linux is
slow and drops lots of chars. netbsd drops very rarely and i could get
near 11kB/s ftp on 115200 link!!