Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2001 19:50:19
> > 486/66 notebook with 8MB RAM and 850MB disk.
> >
> > with static /bin and /sbin: 62 seconds. without: 53 seconds.
>
> That's not really very interesting or surprising given your test
> environment.
>
> Which exact kernel version are you running?

customized 1.5 standard - binary about 1.15MB

> What's the raw speed on your disk?

1MB/s

> How much swap space is used during this process?

50MB. after booting it's 500kB swap and 1MB free.

> I suspect that if you have a decently fast disk and enough RAM not to
> need any swap space for this normal operation, then you won't be able to
> notice any difference in boot times.  I suspect you do have almost

yes

> even an 850MB disk is likely to have an extremely slow disk.  I.e. try
> the same test on a proper server hardware platform that's designed to
> run as a general purpose multi-user Unix system.

sorry but you are talking like micro$oft!!!!

"buy better machine"...

<from www.netbsd.org/Goals/system.html>
NetBSD runs on some of the slowest vax and hp300 machines, to the largest AlphaServer 8x00
systems.  Maintaining acceptable performance on machines with
limited CPU and memory resources pays dividends on more powerful machines
as well; code bloat has to be kept to a minimum.  We also support a wide
</from...>