Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2001 12:03:22
> why /sbin and /bin in netbsd is all static by default?

Because it might save your life someday (been there, helped me).
This is the difference between being able to recover and having to
install the base system again after some types of failure.

> i've already recompiled bin and sbin dynamic (without later steps as my
> /usr is on / partition) on my 8MB notebook and it's much faster and
> about few MB less diskspace!!!

It is *faster*? How did you measure? What is the memory impact? Did you measure
that as well?

Disk space saving is obvious. The other points are more subtle and I would
not bet on any overall figure without good measurements.

Martin