Subject: Re: nameservers
To: Caffeinate The World <mochaexpress@yahoo.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/16/2001 00:57:37
On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Caffeinate The World wrote:

> if i run two names servers for my domain, should the 2nd one be a
> duplicate /etc/namedb of the first? or should the 2nd one act as a
> slave to the first? i've been doing it with 2 systems having the same
> files in /etc/namedb. changes from the first also go to the 2nd
> manually.
>
> what is the recommended way of doing this?

I usually set up slave (secondaries); it works well.

But if you rarely manually update it and you don't have very many zones
(and zone entries) to manage, then continue to do it manually.

As an option: some admins use rsync (via ssh) to do their updates.

There are also other things to consider:

Do you have a firewall in between the two nameservers?

Or what if your master server is unavailable for longer than the
secondaries' zones' expirations?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/