Subject: Re: How do you restore a dump on a nrst0 tape?
To: None <mparson@bl.org>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/12/2001 17:17:28
   In message <008101c0ab15$884a7da0$8ae301cf@jmaier>, you write:
   > I have been backing up using dump and it works great!
   >
   > However I have not had to perform a restore....
   >
   > I suddenly have to perform a restore of a single file.  The dumps done in
   > three parts on a tape using nrst0.  I have successfully been able to do a
   > >restore -i -f /dev/nrst0
   > and can look at the directory (ls), but that is only the first dump which is
   > /.
   >
   > The 2nd dump on the tape is /var (it's own partition) and the man page
   > doesn't give any obvious clues as to how to forward the tape to the point on
   > the tape where that dump starts.

   mt -f /dev/nrst0 fsf 1

   This will fast-forward past the first dump file one the tape and
   leave you at the beginning of the second file.

   --
   Michael Parson
   mparson@bl.org

Note that something this will sometimes place you right before the start
of a secondary end of file marker.  The main way you know this is that you
will do the above 'mt' command and then try to do a restore and get an end
of file error.  Of course, the tape is now sitting beyond the EOF and the
restore, if attempted again, will probably work....  assuming that you
actually put a second file on the tape.

This sort of thing happens to me on my DDS2 drive.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org
http://anduin.eldar.org  - & -  http://anduin.ipv6.eldar.org [IPv6 only]
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]