Subject: Re: language support
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Martin Ammermueller <martin81@bnro.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/11/2001 18:56:59
Martin Husemann wrote:
>[...] LANG=de; export LANG[...]

Ok. The first thing I noticed:
Perl has no german locale support :(
which causes the second:
This is really painful (e.g. when installing packages via pkgsrc).
So I turned it off.

> There is one thing where we probably would *realy* benefit from german
> languag support: a sysinst translation.
[...]
> But: it's a lot of menues and messages to be translated.

Where can i get the messages? Copying it from the screen
down to paper by hand is _not_ really an option. ;)

> > I've found a few files in a cryptic format in
> > /usr/share/nls/de and /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES.
> > How can I edit/make new files with this format?
>
> man gencat(1)

Is there a good tutorial for gencat? The manpage is ..err..
a "little bit" short...

snafu
Martin
PS.:Is this still the right list for this subject?
--
My mind works like lightning.
One brilliant flash and it's gone.

        -- /.