Subject: Mapping ports ?
To: <>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2001 23:44:02

I have a NetBSD-1.5/i386 which has "ftpd" running as a standalone daemon
on port 21, and also "wu-ftpd" running out of inetd on port 821. I'm not
connected to the net, and so I have configured lo0 (loopback) as, and lo1 as  The machine itself has the IP of

As of now, ftp-ing to or invokes the ftpd of port 21.
What I am trying to do is that when I type "ftp", it
automatically connects to port 821 (wu-ftpd) instead of port 21.  I could
do this explicitly with "ftp", but is it possible to
do it automatically ?  Is that possible ? Do things like NAT etc do
something along these lines ?

PS: Quite often I have seen notations like this: or etc.  What do they mean (the / part) ?

Rakhesh Sasidharan	rakhesh at