Subject: Re: Small, cheap systems...
To: Torsten Sadowski <moehl@akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2001 13:22:48
Hi,

> I had never any problems using (3.5") Harddisks on edge or
> flat or (incidentally) on small edge. Modern Harddisks
> can't be low level formatted at all and older (less than
> 500 mb) IDE drives can be destroyed through a low level
> format

3.5" hard disks dont quite last as long when you run them
on edge.  I think the main bearing wears out quicker or
something but I've seen a few die that have been put in
Enlight uATX cases where the drive connector faces
downwards (very ugly!).  They've only been about two years
old at max, which is bad as I have 2x Sun/Seagate 200Mb
SCSI disks from 1991 that still work perfectly (and were
flat mounted).

HtH,

- Chris.