Subject: Re: serial terminal trouble
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/05/2001 11:00:07
> and VT420?-) I wonder why the VT420 works so well if it's the
> console, but refuses to work as a regular terminal. Grr.

Maybe you're doing what I was.  You can't have both console and tty
active at the same time.  My /etc/ttys looks like:

console "/usr/libexec/getty suncons"    sun     off secure
ttya    "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt220   on secure

Note that *console is off*, and *ttya is on*.  This is not the default
AFAIK.  The only way I know how to do this is use 'ex' since 'vi'sual
won't work until you have a term-type set.  It would be nice if this
bit of information were more clearly stated in the docs.  Unfortunately
I'm not qualified enough to make an attempt.

henry nelson