Subject: Re: Small, cheap systems...
To: Torsten Sadowski <moehl@akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/26/2001 18:50:47
> Hi,
> you might look out for an computer from a cashier system. I'm using a
> pizza-box with an external power-supply (i.e. no fan). It's an 386sx with

Pizza-box style case is a problem, unless it can be put on an edge.  (As
far as I'm concerned, it's about the same as a regular desktop.)

I'm more concerned about the heat output than I am about the noise
level.  (And, secondarily, I'd just like to know that it's drawing minimal
power...(^&)

Still, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll lump that in with the general
notion of an old i386 box.  (Another person suggested a SPARC in private
email.)

> P.S. NetBSD 1.4.2 and i4b and several days to get everything running

i4b?  The ISDN interface for BSD?  (Just to be clear about what you mean.
ISDN seems to be a pricey option around here (at least, it was the last
time that I actually looked into it); I'm presently using a regular dialup
modem.  The plan is to move in a couple of months and hopefully switch to
cable-modem or DSL.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu