Subject: Re: Small, cheap systems...
To: Torsten Sadowski <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/26/2001 18:50:47
> Hi,
> you might look out for an computer from a cashier system. I'm using a
> pizza-box with an external power-supply (i.e. no fan). It's an 386sx with

Pizza-box style case is a problem, unless it can be put on an edge.  (As
far as I'm concerned, it's about the same as a regular desktop.)

I'm more concerned about the heat output than I am about the noise
level.  (And, secondarily, I'd just like to know that it's drawing minimal

Still, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll lump that in with the general
notion of an old i386 box.  (Another person suggested a SPARC in private

> P.S. NetBSD 1.4.2 and i4b and several days to get everything running

i4b?  The ISDN interface for BSD?  (Just to be clear about what you mean.
ISDN seems to be a pricey option around here (at least, it was the last
time that I actually looked into it); I'm presently using a regular dialup
modem.  The plan is to move in a couple of months and hopefully switch to
cable-modem or DSL.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."