Subject: Re: disk failure detected by raidframe/raid0?
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/26/2001 17:30:34
Matthias Buelow writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a bit puzzled by raidframe on 1.5/i386 failing one of our
> raid0 components with the following messages:
>
> Feb 26 07:05:55 mail /netbsd: raid0: IO Error.  Marking /dev/sd1e as failed.
> Feb 26 07:05:55 mail /netbsd: raid0: node (Wsd) returned fail, rolling forwar
>
> however.. this was about all there was to it, none of the loud and
> rather verbose scsi error messages I have seen on other disk failures
> (in non-raid setups, though).
> I am therefore wondering if it might be some false alarm?

A false alarm would be a bug... so I hope it's not that :)

> (the disk
> seems to be working after reconstruction, I've had this incident once
> before and the disk worked nicely until this second time.)
> How come the raidframe driver detects an I/O error and the scsi subsystem
> of the kernel doesn't scream multiline scsi-error messages at me (I have
> SCSIVERBOSE defined in the kernel config)?
> Does anybody here have experience with disks failing under raidframe
> and could enlighten the situation a little bit for me?

There should likley be some sort of error from the SCSI subsystem...  unless
the error was caused by something else (e.g. check the disklabels and
component sizes to make sure you're not falling of the end of something...)

Later...

Greg Oster