Subject: Re: dump - still have a problem
To: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2001 16:14:24
On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 08:25:44PM +0100, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> On 24.02.01, 13:57:18, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:04:34PM +0100, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Why would you have to? Dump only reads from a file system; to quote from
> > > init(8):
> >
> > Your statement is false.  Dump reads from the raw device no matter how
> > you run it.
>
> Dear Thor Lancelot Simon,
>
> if you had taken the time to bother with the context you would have
> noticed, that the emphasis here was on _read_, vs. _write_, and not on
> file system vs. device.

Uh, nonsense.  You directly stated "Dump only reads from a file system"
(which it does not do) and then quoted the section of the init manual
page on security levels, which discusses at which security level read
access to the raw device is allowed.

This discussion has been rife with non-factual statements, beginning
with James' statements about dump, multiple filesystems, and multiple
processes, and continuing with this gaarbage about dump not requiring
access to the raw device.  Whatever Wojeck's problem is, it's almost
certainly not going to be solved by any of the "helpful" suggestions
he's been given; if you don't believe me, read the damned source code
and see for yourself.

Thor