Subject: Re: Source distribution size (decompressed)
To: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2001 10:17:32
> > Does anyone know how big a /usr/src tree gets at the most?  Every
> > source set is going to be installed and possibly built, so has
> > anyone got an estimate?  **note**, the build is going to leave .o
> > files everywhere so please include them.  This is on 32-bit sparc
> > if that makes much of a difference.

> This is 1.5.1_ALPHA i386.
>
> 271 MB  /usr/obj
> 1113 MB /usr/src

Sorry this was wrong.

Ignore the /usr/obj part! I also had the obj/ directories with the
.o files in the /usr/src tree.

Also, deduct 9 MB from the /usr/src/ tree
for my personal kernel build.

And deduct 217 MB, because my install and release (binary tar sets) were
also under my /usr/src directory.

You asked "how big a /usr/src tree gets at the most?" and "please include"
the .o files. I believe mine gets to 887 MB.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> Isn't there a '1' too many here?

Maybe I am misunderstanding something. This includes all the source, .o
files and final executables when building the entire i386 release. This
includes multiple kernels, games, X, gcc, floppy images, etc. I may have
done this wrong. I used "BLOCKSIZE=1048576 du -s ..." and
"BLOCKSIZE=1048576 df" (because my /usr/src is its own partition). What is
the correct way to measure this?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/