Subject: Re: dump - short guide
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2001 13:21:04

> thank you.. in fact i need to know 2 things.
> 1) how to turn off tapesize calculation. i have DDS-2 drive with
>    compression but dump prompts for next tape after few minutes

Just use the -B flag.  From `man dump':-

-B records
    The number of kilobytes per volume, rounded down to a multiple of
    the blocksize.  This option overrides the calculation of tape
    size based on length and density.

Just tell it how big your tape is compressed (good luck).

> 2) how to dump all filesystems mentioned in fstab with nonzero
>    dump flag?

Not a clue.  I run everything scripted.

> 3) does dump accesses data through filesystem, cooked device or raw
>    device. i think raw would be the best.

I think it does it via raw device access through /dev/rstN.

> does -k 256 or more make sense so no seeks will be made?

Unknown - I always use the defaults.

- Chris.