Subject: Re: mail to ncrnko@jps.net
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2001 23:31:04
    Date:        Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:27:16 +0100 (CET)
    From:        <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>

  | another strange thing is that 212.45.238.198 is not my IP and i'm sending
  | mail directly without relays

Ah - in that case, I think you have found the source of the problem,
as (from the outside world) 212.45.238.198 is your IP address if you
are sending without relays (and that much is confirmed I think)...

  by mail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 14 Feb 2001 16:27:40 -0000
	by wojtek.from.pl (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f1EGRG801463;
	Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:27:16 +0100 (CET)

Those are the (adjacent) received headers for your message - the first
(lower one) when your mailer processed the mail when you sent it, and the
second (first printed) when mail.netbsd.org received the mail from you.

Look at the IP address that mail.netbsd.org says it received the message
from...

So, if that isn't what you have configured, the answer is clear, there's
a NAT in the path between you and the world.

It is quite likely that several different users all get the same IP
address, either simultaneously (doing port remapping as well), or
at least during the day as users connect and disconnect.  One of the
others is quite possibly relaying mail, and ORBS found them.

Of course, behind a NAT that way, there's no possibility that ORBS
can ever verify that you're not relaying, as they can't possibly
actually connect to you...

kre