Subject: Re: mail to
To: None <>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2001 23:31:04
    Date:        Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:27:16 +0100 (CET)
    From:        <>

  | another strange thing is that is not my IP and i'm sending
  | mail directly without relays

Ah - in that case, I think you have found the source of the problem,
as (from the outside world) is your IP address if you
are sending without relays (and that much is confirmed I think)...

  by with SMTP; 14 Feb 2001 16:27:40 -0000
	by (8.11.0/8.11.0) with ESMTP id f1EGRG801463;
	Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:27:16 +0100 (CET)

Those are the (adjacent) received headers for your message - the first
(lower one) when your mailer processed the mail when you sent it, and the
second (first printed) when received the mail from you.

Look at the IP address that says it received the message

So, if that isn't what you have configured, the answer is clear, there's
a NAT in the path between you and the world.

It is quite likely that several different users all get the same IP
address, either simultaneously (doing port remapping as well), or
at least during the day as users connect and disconnect.  One of the
others is quite possibly relaying mail, and ORBS found them.

Of course, behind a NAT that way, there's no possibility that ORBS
can ever verify that you're not relaying, as they can't possibly
actually connect to you...