Subject: Re: Fileserver
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2001 17:56:06
On 15.02.01, 14:25:03, Andrzej Szeszo wrote:
> Hello
>
> I want to build a fast fileserver using NetBSD. I have two IDE 6.4GB
> hds (each on different channel). I'm looking for any tips how to use
> them in the most optimal way. I'd like to know which filesystem is
> faster during simultaneous accesses. That's what I have made so far:
>
> rock: {3} ccdconfig -g
> ccd0            32      0       /dev/wd0e /dev/wd1e
> rock: {4} mount
> /dev/wd0a on / type ffs (local)
> /dev/ccd0e on /var type lfs (local)
> /dev/ccd0g on /usr type lfs (local)
> /dev/ccd0f on /tmp type lfs (local)
> /dev/ccd0h on /home type lfs (NFS exported, local)
> kernfs on /kern type kernfs (local)
>
> I'm using ccd interleave setting 32. What settings do you people use?

I'm using an interleave of 512, although I have no idea how good or
bad that really is. The ccd(4) manpage would suggest 171, since that
appears to be the (real) track size (1026 sec/cyl, 6 heads), but that
seemed too odd a number to use.

$ ccdconfig -g
ccd0            512     2       /dev/sd0e /dev/sd1e

$ mount | grep ccd
/dev/ccd0a on /var type ffs (local, soft dependencies)
/dev/ccd0b on /usr type ffs (NFS exported, local, soft dependencies)
/dev/ccd0c on /usr/local type lfs (NFS exported, local)

I use two (narrow) Ultra-SCSI disks IBM DCAS 34330 on a TekRam DC390U
host adapter with the siop driver. I consider adding a third disk of
the same type to the ccd.

I do not do heavy file serving, although all my other comcputers
import the file systems via nfs, smb and (sometimes) appletalk.

One file system (the least important, I don't trust it too far yet) is
LFS and that seems really performant: I can burn CDs at 8x speed
(SCSI-CD-R drive on the same SCSI channel) on-the-fly without data
loss even when the daily "find" job runs on the same disks. I could
not do that before when the file system was on a single disk.

The only minor annoyance with ccd is that xosview shows accumulated
disk transfer statistics of all component disks plus the ccd.

Btw, what's the exact meaning of the flags? At the moment there only
seem to be 0 (which is "none") and 2 (which is "uniform"). What's the
difference?

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: It's...uh...well...have you heard of linux?
		-- Tom Harvey