Subject: Re: ADSL USB support
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Jorgen Lundman <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/15/2001 14:21:51
Aha, loadable firmware, that does make sense watching it boot :)

I wonder if there is a tcpdump a-like program on Windows, for USB, so I
could capture the session to work out commands et al, then replicate it
on BSD :)

..or I could wait for Linux drivers.

but it would be a neat little pet project.

David Brownlee wrote:
>         Its picked up as ugen. It needs a driver to load firmware onto it,
>         then talk to it. Best bet is to wait for the linux driver, take
>         the firmware as is, and rewrite the host driver portion for
>         NetBSD.
>         I would expect there to be many people willing to buy whoever does
>         this a large pint of their preferred beverage :)
>                 David/absolute          -- No hype required --
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Jorgen Lundman wrote:
> >
> > Probably yet another FAQ but hey :)
> >
> > I have ADSL USB at home, Alcatel to be exact. I will play with NetBSD
> > and it over the weekend but thought I'd check to see if anyone had any
> > ideas.
> >
> > Kinda hoping it will be picked up as a General USB modem? Unrealistic?
> > PPPoE already exists on nbsd I believe (even if only a userland pppd).
> >
> > But Alcatel are supposed to be doing Linux drivers soon, perhaps it's
> > worth waiting for that.
> >
> > Lund

Jorgen "Lord" Lundman <>
Technology Manager, Unix Administrator
Phone: +44 (020)8659-1860  Mobile: (07958)642-918
"Rare is the person who can weigh the faults of others
 without putting his thumb on the scales": Byron J. Langenfeld