Subject: Re: mail trouble
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ari Gordon-Schlosberg <regs@nebcorp.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2001 10:16:50
[Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>]
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:40:05PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:40:05 -0800 (PST)
> > From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
> > To: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
> > cc: netbsd-users@netbsd.org
> > Subject: Re: mail trouble
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Justin Heath wrote:
> >
> > > Recently I set up mutt 1.2.5i and postfix for user mail. All my outgoing
> > > mail has seemded to work fine except to the netbsd-users mailing list.
> > > The messages send out but never show up on the list. Has anyone else had
> > > this problem? Any suggestions?
> >
> > Look at your mail logs. Did postfix really send these specific emails?
> >
> > If it did send them, look at the netbsd-users archive. Did the messages
> > ever make it?
> >
> >    Jeremy C. Reed
> >    http://www.reedmedia.net/
> >

> I now see what the problem is. Whenever I would reply mutt seems to strip the original carbon copy field. Anynone know a quick fix for that?

Mutt has two things to make your life easier:

The lists command (with it's related list-reply), and group-reply:

       r       reply           reply to sender
       g       group-reply     reply to all recipients
       L       list-reply      reply to mailing list address

  3.9.  Mailing lists

  Usage: [un]lists address [ address ... ]
  Usage: [un]subscribe address [ address ... ]

  Mutt has a few nice features for ``handling mailing lists''.  In order
  to take advantage of them, you must specify which addresses belong to
  mailing lists, and which mailing lists you are subscribed to.  Once
  you have done this, the ``list-reply'' function will work for all
  known lists.  Additionally, when you send a message to a subscribed
  list, mutt will add a Mail-Followup-To header to tell other users'
  mail user agents not to send copies of replies to your personal
  address.   Note that the Mail-Followup-To header is a non-standard
  extension which is not supported by all mail user agents.  Adding it
  is not bullet-proof against receiving personal CCs of list messages.
  Also note that the generation of the Mail-Followup-To header is
  controlled by the ``followup_to'' configuration variable.

  More precisely, Mutt maintains lists of known and subscribed mailing
  lists.  Every subscribed mailing list is known.  To mark a mailing
  list as known, use the ``lists'' command.  To mark it as subscribed,
  use ``subscribe''.

  Specify as much of the address as you need to to remove ambiguity.
  For example, if you've subscribed to the Mutt mailing list, you will
  receive mail addresssed to mutt-users@mutt.org.  So, to tell Mutt that
  this is a mailing list, you could add ``lists mutt-users'' to your
  initialization file.  To tell mutt that you are subscribed to it, add
  ``subscribe mutt-users'' to your initialization file instead.  If you
  also happen to get mail from someone whose address is mutt-
  users@example.com, you could use ``lists mutt-users@mutt.org'' or
  ``subscribe mutt-users@mutt.org'' to match only mail from the actual
  list.

  The ``unlists'' command is used to remove a token from the list of
  known and subscribed mailing-lists. Use ``unlists *'' to remove all
  tokens.

  To remove a mailing list from the list of subscribed mailing lists,
  but keep it on the list of known mailing lists, use ``unsubscribe''.

I strongly suggest reading the manual that came with mutt (look for
manual.txt) or looking on mutt.org.

--
Ari							there is no spoon
http://www.nebcorp.com/~regs/pgp for PGP public key