Subject: Re: What 802.11 wireless gear do you recommend?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2001 22:54:56
On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Andrew Gillham wrote:
> I'm seriously thinking about the D-link "broadband wireless gateway"
> with 3 10/100 switch ports.  Basically a ethernet/ethernet router
> with ethernet/wireless bridging.  About $352 from buy.com.

Sorta related, does anyone have any thoughts on an inexpensive
wireless/wireless bridge? I.e. something that can bridge two ethernets
over wireless? I've got a friend who has a SDSL connection at his office
and would like to hook his apartment LAN into it; the two buildings are
about 100m apart, line of sight through two windows, although in the
summer, there may be a tree in the way :) He had gotten two of the
D-Link DWL-1000AP access points, only to find out they won't talk to
each other; they only bridge between wireless and ethernet. Also,
despite the claims of about 100m range indoors, 300m outdoors, it wasn't
able to make the 100m. We setup one access point on the office
windowsill and I took my laptop with a DWL-650 card to his apartment,
and it barely worked if I held the card right up to the window (major
packet loss when pinging). Didn't work at all if I sat down at the desk
that's just a few feet from the window.

He's currently got an ISDN connection at his apartment, and is upgrading
it to 256K SDSL, but it seems like a waste to have to pay the monthly
fees for that when he's already paying for the office SDSL connection
and the two buildings are so close :)
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 25 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++