Subject: Re: What 802.11 wireless gear do you recommend?
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2001 18:54:58
cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou) writes:

> My understanding is that the underlying hardware in the Airport and
> RG-1000 is the same.  Lucent hardware is obviously the strong favorite
> in the responses I got -- there were some mentions of other gear, but
> in fact little experience with things other than those above.

Rumor has it you cannot use any of the existing software to put the
longer encryption key into a gold card, should you replace the one
in the RG-1000 with one.

The apple airport works fine.

Also, the RG-1000 picks a rather annoying network name, and this
cannot be changed so I was told.  This means you're screwed if you
want to put two together and roam 'tween them.

--Michael