Subject: Re: FTP: LIST vs. NLST
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Trevin Beattie <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2001 08:37:49
At 07:31 PM 1/31/2001 +0700, you wrote:
>Don't bet on it.   FTP is one of the very very ancient protocols (much
>older than SMTP (e-mail) for example), when it was first invented, almost
>no-one had even heard of unix.
>It is quite likely (well, possible anyway) that on the systems that
>were in use, the possibility of treating a directory as if it were a
>file had never been considered.

Are you sure?  Unix isn't a spring chicken itself; in fact, Bell Labs' 1st
Edition is just as old as the first RFC, and the Berkeley Standard
Distribution predated RFC-765 by a few years.  I had always thought the
RFC's and the Internet evolved along with Unix, often by the same groups of

Trevin Beattie          "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards,     for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."
      {:->                                     --unknown