Subject: Raid/System setup recommendations
To: None <>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2001 15:22:12

I recently bought a cheap 7 disc UW case with 7 4,5GB drives. Is it
reasonable to get a cheap DPT Raid controller or should I prefer
softwareraid? Should I expect performance advantages of either
solution and would a cache on the controller be of any good and
does softwareraid a good job when it comes to hot swap of drives?

This is a production system, so I am restricted in my possibilities to

I still need one Linux machine to run Win32 under vmware, I thought
I could mount parts of the Raid by NFS, specially the virtual disk
files used for vmware. Does this sound stupid to anyone, or is there
a better solution someone can recommend?

I remember I had problems some years ago when I tried to boot
from high SCSI ids (8-16) is there something known I should

Thnaks in advance,