Subject: Re: 1.4.3 vs 1.5 binary files.
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/25/2001 09:13:21
On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:02:46PM +0530, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> > ./lundftpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> > dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> >
> > whereas an old version on the 1.4.3 system is:
> >
> > ./lundftpd-2.8-good: setuid NetBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked
> > executable not stripped
>
> I'm not exactly sure of this, but I do remember somebody on the list
> saying the 1.4 uses a.out executables, and 1.5 has begun to use 1.5
                                                                  ^^^ "ELF"
> executables.  (And your "file" output seems to go along with that too.)

> though, but better than waiting till Feb ...  [It just struck me, there
> should be some kernel option like COMPAT_14 or something -- wonder if it
> might help in such a case ?  Somebody knowledgeble could suggest ...]

The COMPAT_14 option does exist, but it pulls in the system calls that
were changed post-1.4. The options required include EXEC_AOUT and COMPAT_14,
and old a.out libraries need to be moved into /emul somewhere (I don't
remember where exactly -- /emul/aout/usr/lib perhaps). That would allow
for the running of a.out NetBSD executables on an ELF NetBSD system. I
guess you could move most of /usr into /emul/aout and run the compiler
from there.

That, of course, assumes that the old 1.4 tree was still present.
      'Concerns about "rights" and "ownership" of domains are inappropriate.
 It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities" and "service"
 to the community.' -- RFC 1591, page 4: March 1994