Subject: 1.4.3 vs 1.5 binary files.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2001 15:53:13
I've always compiled my tools on my local machine, and scp'ed them to my
remote ones and that's all been well and fine.

However, I recently (foolishly?) upgraded my local machine to 1.5, and
all my remote hosts are 1.4.3 (and I can't upgrade them until I
physically go there - maybe feb) and now none of my compiles, or
libraries work.

Specifically:

./lundftpd: Exec format error. Binary file not executable.

Using the "file" command it is listed as:

./lundftpd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1,
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

whereas an old version on the 1.4.3 system is:

./lundftpd-2.8-good: setuid NetBSD/i386 demand paged dynamically linked
executable not stripped

I've tried to link statically to see if that would improve it, but even
though it atleast gets rid of that mis-leading error message, it still
gives:

Bad system call

Are my only options now to either downgrade my local system to 1.4.3,
or
to wait/stop-development until I can upgrade my remote systems to 1.5?

(Building everything on each remote machine, or some other remote
machine, isn't really an option)

I wish I had known upgrading to 1.5 would break all binaries, libraries
and object files, but I guess that's what I get for not fully reading
the readme :)

Thanks for any reply,

Lund

--