Subject: Re: NetBSD-current? Where?
To: Emre <emre@srengineering.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/23/2001 17:45:24
On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Emre wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> I feel awkward asking this question, but where exactly can I get
> NetBSD-current? I went to ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-current/
> But I don't see any .tgz files that I can install.  Do I have to CVSup and
> get the source and recompile the whole system?
>
> I also found ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/20001014/
> but that's old (older than 1.5).  Can anyone tell me where I can find the
> -current install packages?

IIRC, the 20001014 snapshot is more recent than 1.5, since 1.5 was a
branch of -current before 20001014 (1.5 branched off some time ago, and it
undergoes the whole test/release cycle, while -current just keeps on
going).  But I know what you mean - 20001014 is an old snapshot.

The -current install packages (such as base.tgz, boot1.fs, etc.tgz,
etc...) aren't built every night or such - instead, they are built every
so often and placed up as a snapshot (much like the 20001014 you
referenced).  These snapshots can be used as a "stepping stone" to
-current, or as just a test of some recent changes, etc...

The best way to get -current is probably to [optionally install the
most recent snapshot, then] setup cvs and slurp down the recent source,
then recompile, install, etc...  The documentation section on tracking
-current is pretty good in going through the details of setting up CVS and
such.

I've been keen on seeing a new snapshot, too, but I'm taking to
opportunity to go ahead and walk through my first full build of the
system (including boot floppies, etc...).  Should be fun ;-)

Hope this helps,

-
Jon
 - The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer.
 - USATODAY.com latest Health news for 12/4/2000 at 2:10 p.m.:
    Tobacco firm backs lung cancer test: Spaz the cat will never again
    want for medication to relieve his constipation.