Subject: Re: maximum nr of partitions
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
From: Emre <emre@srengineering.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2001 17:29:45
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 09:53:47PM +0530, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that NetBSD-1.5 has released, I just wanted to know whether the
> > maximum nr of partitions (the a-h thingies) allowed has increased from 8
> > ? I didn't see any mention of such a thing in the changelogs, but I was
> > wondering ...

From http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/i386/:

NetBSD/i386 News

Jan 02, 2001:  NetBSD/i386 supports 16 partitions in -current

	NetBSD's i386 port supports up to 16 partitions per disk in -current. Before
	you can use this you have to update your complete source, rebuild the kernel
	and userland, and invoke the latest "src/etc/etc.i386/MAKEDEV" in "/dev" to
	create the additional device nodes. If you do use more than 8 partitions per
	disk, you won't be able to cleanly downgrade to an earlier NetBSD version.

Cheers,

--
Emre Yildirim, Information Security Officer
GPG KeyID 0x92FE42F4 | http://1086362465/emre-dsa.asc