Subject: Re: finally i've installed NetBSD-1.5
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2001 23:28:43

> 64K, yes. I don't think linux does more. But linux, with a completely
> async filesystem, may be able to cluster more metadata writes.
tried with async option - still lot of seeks MUCH more than linux.
and with large (5-50MB) files there isn't a lot of metadata

> > and can be /usr/var?
> >
> > /var (at least in linux) can be VERY large because of /var/spool/mail,
> > mqueue
>
> Same here. Then make 3 partitions instead of 2 (/, /var, /usr :)
> If it's for a mail server I'd strongly recommends to have a separate /var
> (on dedicated mail server I even have /var, /var/mail and /var/spool/mqueue
> partitions :)

i prefer one used partition per disks (excluding swap).

i found having separate partition for booting is possible in netbsd.

it's easy :) - just do (looks complicated but it isn't) :

1) define very small (for kernels only, like 5-10MB) a partition, b
(swap) partition as usual, e partition for the rest (will be root)

2)accept it to save and break when filesystem creation (will fail if you
dont)

3)exit it

4)do newfs on this partitions manually (good place to use -c 100 etc...)

5) mount e partition as /mnt, mkdir /mnt/stand, a partition as /mnt/stand

6) /usr/mdec/installboot /usr/mdev/biosboot.sym /dev/rxxxa (xx=wd0 or sd0)

7) unpack everything except kernel to /mnt from .tgz files (possibly
mounting source media to /mnt2).

8) unpack/copy kernel to /mnt/stand

9) cd /mnt;ln -s stand/netbsd .

10) cd /;umount -a;reboot

11) do boot -as and select wd0e/sd0e as root, rest as usual

12) vi rc.conf etc as normal, vi /etc/default/rc.conf and change (DONT
remember exactly the name of this option, and i'm in linux now) option
which tells what partition should be mounted first from /usr to /stand

13) when compiling custom kernel set root to wd0e/sd0e

14) done

the trick is in 9 and 12