Subject: Re: IP distribution across multiple NICs
To: None <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2001 11:03:20
From: "Claude Marinier" <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> >
> > If you're getting 12 megabyte/sec on a 100baseT LAN, you're doing
very
> > well.  What is downstream of that LAN?  A switch?  What is it
connected
> > to?  What is the output bandwidth there?
> >
> > A common way to do load-balancing across multiple IP addresses is
via
> > the DNS.  For the specific solution you're asking for -- I don't
know
> > how to do that on NetBSD, but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
You
> > could probably play games with ARP, if you wished.
>
> Check out SRV resource records (RRs) in RFC 2052. They can do load
> balancing. This is in bind 8.2.2 pl 5.

Actually he is looking for _outbound_ loadbalancing, not inbound.
If you have three interfaces, and a default route pointing out fxp0,
won't all responses that are not local go via this interface anyway?
(e.g. NetBSD doesn't always reply via the ingress interface)

Depending on the topology you can "load balance" your routing info
across the three interfaces.  So each remote subnet can be routed
out of a different nic.

-Andrew