Subject: Re: IP distribution across multiple NICs
To: tester 777 <tester707@hotmail.com>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2001 06:55:38
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, tester 777 wrote:

[snip]

> as a secondary concern, it would also be nice to associate more than one IP
> with a *single* nic for hosting multiple-domain content (though i know the
> nature of the TCP/IP protocal might make this difficult).  To really go
> wild, it would be incredibly powerful to combine these two attributes (5 ips
> evenly distributed across 3 nics for example).
>
> if anyone has seen documentation or knows of a way to execute anything i've
> mentioned, i'd sure like to hear from you.

For this second concern, look at IP aliases, which are defined with the
'ifconfig' command.  You can associate many IP addrs with a single,
physical interface using this method.

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"