Subject: Re: Tape Backups -- tar vs. dump
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Hans Dinsen-Hansen <dino@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/03/2001 20:37:14
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:47:45 -0600, John Maier wrote:

>So...
>-1 will backup the changes from -0
>-2 will backup the changes from -1
>-3 will backup the changes from -3
>So I should define for each day it own dump level...
>i.e.
>Saturday 1:00am : dump -0 ...
>(Skip Sun and Mon, because previous day not a work day(for us :-))
>Tuesday  1:00am : -1
>Wednesday 1:00am : -2
>Thursday  1:00am : -3
>Friday  1:00am : -4
>Saturday start over with -0

I'd simply take level -1 Tuesday thru Friday!  Of course, the dumps
will be larger and larger throughout the week.  If, however, you'd
ever have to restore the whole system you'll only have to use - at
most - two sets of tapes, your level 0 dump (for the week) + your
level 1 dump for the last day your system was up.

I would, however, have 5 sets of tapes marked Saturday, Tuesday,
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  This is, actually, the way I managed
a BSD-system when I, for a period, was in charge of one, and this is
how I maintain my own, single user, NetBSD system.
Hans Dinsen-Hansen    http://www.danbbs.dk/~dino/
                      mailto:dino@danbbs.dk