Subject: Re: inetd terminating!!
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/28/2000 10:50:24
John Maier writes:
> I'm getting an error in the message log:
> Dec 28 09:28:44 mail inetd[22189]: pop3/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
>
> This REALLY is bad.  because nobody can get POP mail and I have to
> constantly hup inetd.
>
> How do I get inetd to stop trying to check IPs?

Actually this usually means the pop3/tcp server is starting and
exiting too frequently.  So inetd thinks it is hosed.  If you have
people constantly checking their pop3 mail, this might happen.
Change it to something like:
pop3	stream	tcp	nowait.200	root	/usr/pkg/libexec/ipop3d	ipop3d

Which says it can start/stop 200 times a minute before it is considered
to be looping. (or set it to a better value)

-Andrew