Subject: Re: inetd terminating!!
To: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/28/2000 10:43:47
> Dec 28 09:28:44 mail inetd[22189]: pop3/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated

NetBSD doesn't include a pop3 server in the base configuration; which
POP server are you using?

> This REALLY is bad.  because nobody can get POP mail and I have to
> constantly hup inetd.

see inetd(8)

     wait/nowait[.max]

     The optional
     ``max'' suffix (separated from ``wait'' or ``nowait'' by a dot) specifies
     the maximum number of server instances that may be spawned from inetd
     within an interval of 60 seconds. When omitted, ``max'' defaults
     to 40.

I'm guessing you're getting more than 40 POP connections per minute..

> How do I get inetd to stop trying to check IPs?

What makes you think that it's failing because it's attempting to
"check IPs"?

					- Bill