Subject: Re: OpenBSD or NetBSD?
To: Jim Reef <jimreef@hotmail.com>
From: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/22/2000 00:22:09
Here are some benchmarks of the two (also including freebsd, linux and
solaris). This should address both peroformance questions. I try not to
take benchmarkstoo seriously but these seem pretty on the mark from my
personal experience:

http://innominate.org/%7Etgr/projects/tuning/
As far as security my personal opinion (and I emphasize 'opinion') is
that OpenBSD seems to have security 'in mind' but do not believe it
delivers fully. OpenBSD has gotten alot of attention in the past 6+
months and in that time have seen quite an increase in vernerabilities
more than I have seen for NetBSD in that period. You would be best off
looking at:

http://www.cert.org

and draw your own conclusions. I think stability and reliabilty is a
toss up and could go either way. Functionality also seems to be pretty
close but I have seen that OpenBSD has put a good amount of work into
IPsec which may help your situation with a firewall but with the amount
of insecurities as of late it may not.

The best option for any OS I believe is to thoroughly test your options
and read as much of the documentation that either provides and compare
them from your experiences, rather than opinions.

BTW: I do not see a spell checking option in mozilla 0.6 so please
forgive my spelling.