Subject: Re: tar verify
To: Nick <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/20/2000 10:45:18
nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk (Nick) writes:
> I can't help thinking something as fundamental as a backup command
> should be as clear and precise as possible when reporting its exit
> status.

Right, so, there's a solution of a sort to this kind of problem.

Find a variant you like.  Fix it, or get the maintainers to fix it, so
that it has sane behaviour (if it doesn't already).

Then carry it around with you.  Make it part of your standard site
software, or whatever.  Then you can use it, and you know what you're
getting, and you know that it works.

It's not a great solution, but for most purposes, in my experience, it
works well enough.

chris
--
Not speaking for my employer, of course!