Subject: Re: help
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@freenet.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/19/2000 22:37:43
On 19.12.00, 08:35:09, Stephen Ramsey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just upgraded my Athlon PC to NetBSD-1.5 (i386), from
> NetBSD-1.4.2.  I upgraded it by booting to the 1.4.2 CD and by unpacking
> the binary sets by hand (which I had previously downloaded).

Make sure the kern.tgz set was among them, and also unpack this. But
see below.

> After the upgrade, /sbin/ldconfig refuses to recognize any of the shared
> libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib, even though I have put this directory in the
> /etc/ld.so.conf, and (for good measure) in /emul/aout/etc/ld.so.conf.  I
> also tried feeding that directory to /sbin/ldconfig on the command-line,
> like this:
>
> 	/sbin/ldconfig -v -c /usr/X11R6/liib
>
> But nothing seems to work.  Every way I run /sbin/ldconfig, it just
> ignores the stuff in /usr/X11R6/lib (as if it doesn't even see this files
> as shared libraries or something).  On the other hand, /sbin/ldconfig
> accepts everything in /usr/local/lib and in /usr/lib.
>
> Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?

The thing to do is always to boot a 1.5 installation device (either
floppy or CD-ROM) and do the complete upgrade procedure. This way,
obsolete files from previous versions will also be removed and
(possibly) new device nodes for new devices will be installed. and the
new and correct shared library handling is ensured.

In case you unpack 1.5 manually on an installed 1.4.x system be aware,
that a 1.4(.x) (a.out) kernel will _not_ run with 1.5 (ELF) binaries
and shared libraries. So once you installed 1.5 binaries and libraries
you _must_ run a 1.5 kernel! Easiest way is to also unpack the kernel

Old 1.4.2 a.out binaries and libraries should continue to work, but in
time you should rebuild all packages to use the new ELF format. It
will not be easy to have both ELF and a.out packages installed that
need the same shared library (like, say, gtk or jpeg).

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD is full. Go away.
		-- Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>