Subject: Re: tar verify
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/17/2000 12:17:55
On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:15:51AM -0500, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> You can run tar with the v ("verbose") switch, then it displays all the file
> names with paths of the extracted files.
>
> tar xzvf some-archive.tar.gz | more
>
> extracts a tar/gzip archive, displaying the file names and paths, pausing so you
> can see one screenful at a time.  Using t instead of x will just list what would
> be extracted without actually extracting anything.

On some versions of tar you can also use the v switch twice to get "very
verobose" output. I don't remember where I first saw this (might have been
on my Amiga or SunOS 4), but I'm in the habit of using it always now.

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper