Subject: Re: Sendmail.cf?
To: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/12/2000 11:50:06
On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Simon Raahauge DeSantis wrote:

> It seems as if the default sendmail.cf distributed with NetBSD-1.5 has
> tightened up relaying to the point where if I try to send mail as
> xiamin@ghostpriest.rakis.net from Outlook Express on my work machine through
> ghostpriest.rakis.net's sendmail, it denies me with
>
> The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by
> the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'srd@sp00ky.com'. Subject 'A
> test', Account: 'ghostpriest.rakis.net', Server: 'ghostpriest.rakis.net',
> Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '450 4.7.1 <srd@sp00ky.com>... Relaying
> temporarily denied. Cannot resolve PTR record for 209.21.242.34', Port: 25,
> Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 450, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

You should at the mail logs (/var/log/maillog) on ghostpriest.rakis.net.
It will help you.

The message above doesn't match up with your explanation above. Also
notice that it says "Cannot resolve PTR record"; you may want to fix that.

> Now, editing a sendmail.cf file is not something I'm very familiar with. So

I don't think editing sendmail.cf is the solution to your problem. Look
at the maillogs to see what should be fixed.

> I was hoping to edit the m4 file and generate a new cf file. I grab the
> gnusrc tarball to get at src/gnu/dist/sendmail/cf/cf (as mentioned in the
> begining of /etc/mail/sendmail.cf). And there's no netbsd-proto.mc for me to
> edit. What gives?

On my system I have three files with that name:
 /usr/pkg/pkgsrc/mail/sendmail88/files/netbsd-proto.mc
 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/netbsd-proto.mc
 /usr/src/gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/netbsd-proto.mc

Anyways, I don't think you need to edit netbsd-proto.mc. Look at the ideas
in netbsd-proto-IPv4only.mc and create a new .mc file for your particular
needs.

You may want to read /usr/share/sendmail/m4/README (or
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/cf-readme.txt)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/