Subject: controlling the order of files in an ISO image with mkisofs
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/11/2000 13:18:02
I just bought a Memorex portable MP3/CD player ($89 at Target) which
has the annoying property of ignoring all files it finds on a CD past
the first non-MP3 file. I've heard that this is a characteristic of
several brands of MP3/CD player. Since I like to put a few other files
on my MP3 CDs that cause them to autorun winamp when plugged into a
Windows machine, I'm now trying to figure out how to put certain files
at the end of the directory listing.

My first attempt was to order things in the source directory, then run
mkisofs. Unfortunately, mkisofs seems to *always* sort directories
before putting them into the image.

Next I looked in the mkisofs manpage and found a -sort option. Based
on the description I saw there, I tried creating a "sortorder" file
and giving that to mkisofs. It didn't complain, but also didn't change
the sortorder at all; I don't know if this is because -sort orders the
location of the *data* on the image rather than the order of the
directory, of if it's because I haven't setup the sortorder file
correctly - I did something like this:

    AUTORUN.INF   0
    shellexec.exe 0
    *             200

Does anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible with the mkisofs
-sort option, and if so what the file should look like? Alternately,
if it isn't possible, any other suggestions on how to do this (aside
from patching mkisofs)?