Subject: gnome+1.5beta=1000*crashes ?
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 12/02/2000 11:43:42
Hello,

I got myself a new computer and decided to install gnome and enlightenment
on it (to finally move on from fvwm95 ;-)

I installed everything from the most recent pkgsrc package and started
X with "gnome-session" in my .xinitrc.  It starts up, yes, but when I try
to select a theme, for example, I just get a window which says the theme
selector applet has crashed.  Many other things crash, too, and when I
try to configure enlightenment using the menus, I get black windows with
black buttons, so I can't really do much.

Is gnome running reliably on NetBSD 1.5 for someone?  Is there a known
problem that I can fix?  I know gnome is huge, but this new machine seems
to be "fast enough" to run a GUI (gee, my Amiga 1000 was "fast enough" and
I think it had less than 1/100 of the horsepower of this new machine..)

Thanks,

  -jm

P.S. I'm running netscape, gimp, etc. on the new machine and they do NOT
     crash (nor did any pkgsrc or kernel build), so I _think_ the hardware
     is OK.